July 2021 Proficiency Exam Registration Procedures
THE INFORMATION ON THIS PAGE IS NOT FOR CURRENT PREP STUDENTS. There will be another announcement in the future for prep students who are eligible to take the proficiency exam, procedures of which will be announced later.
The July Proficiency Exam will take place online on July 5th 2021 at 10:00 in one session. The registration for the exam will start on June 16th and end at 17.00 on June 29th, 2021.
Exam Registration Procedure
The registration procedure for the July 2021 online English Proficiency Exam consists of two stages:
First, you must create an account on elma.itu.edu.tr (If you already have an account on Elma, please skip this stage).
Secondly, you must apply for the exam on www.sis.itu.edu.tr. In order to take the exam you have to complete both stages in accordance with the detailed information below. Please read it carefully.
The candidates must first create an account on elma.itu.edu.tr before applying for the exam on www.sis.itu.edu.tr. While creating an account on Elma platform, you will be required to provide an e-mail address. You must conform to the rules stated below while entering the e-mail address on Elma:
1. If you are applying for the exam as “İTÜ Lisans Beklemeli Öğrenci (ITU students who haven’t yet passed the proficiency exam )”, “İTÜ Yüksek Lisans Beklemeli Öğrenci (ITU graduate students who haven’t yet passed the proficiency exam)”, “DİĞER 1 (HAZIRLIK OLMAYAN YA DA LİSANS BEKLEMELİ OLMAYAN İTÜ ÖĞRENCİLERİ) (ITU students who have passed the proficiency exam before)”, you must provide your current ITU e-mail address while creating an account on Elma.
2. If you are applying for the exam as “Yüksek Lisans Başvurusu Yapmış Olan Aday (Candidates who have already applied for an MA/MS program)”, you must provide the e-mail address that you used for your MA/MS application before.
3. If you are applying for the exam as “DİĞER 2 (İTÜ DIŞI ÖĞRENCİLER) (candidates who are not current ITU Students or who haven’t already applied for an MA/MS program at ITU)”, on Elma you must provide an email that belongs to you and later you must enter the same e-mail into the application form while applying for the exam on SİS.
* Those who have provided different e-mail addresses on Elma and SİS will not be able to take the exam.
Click here for the steps that you must follow to create an account on Elma.
After you have created an account on Elma, you must apply for the exam on http://www.sis.itu.edu.tr/onkayitlar/english_exam/index_en.php and pay the exam fee on time.
Technical Requirements for the Proficiency Exam
· You must use the up-to-date version of Chrome browser on your computer to take the exam.
· You must allow pop-ups in Chrome. Click here for the relevant instructions.
· The exam must be open only on one window at a time. If you encounter any problems (page not fully loading, connection problems, power cuts. etc.) close the exam window that is open and login again to continue where you left off.
· For the Listening section you need headphones or speakers.
· You mustn’t use VPN connection.
Proficiency Exam Rules
· The exam will be accessible from 10.00 to 12.30 on the exam day.
· Even if you log in the system any time later than 10.00, you will need to complete the exam by 12.30.
· If you cannot complete your exam by 12.30, the answers you have provided up to 12:30 will be automatically saved.
· The interface of the exam platform is English.
· It is not possible to return to the skipped questions in the exam. During the Reading Section reading text will be displayed for each question.
· In order to take notes during the listening, you need to have a draft paper and pencil with you. Important titles in the listening text will be displayed on the screen during the listening.
· If a student is disconnected for technical reasons such as power or internet outage, if they can re-enter the system, they will be able to continue the exam from where they left off.
· A make-up exam will be conducted on June 7th, 2021 at 10:00 for those who fail to take or complete their exam on June 5th, 2021 because of technical failures.
· The data recorded during the exam will be analyzed by data processing methods and, if necessary, by the authorized commission of the university. If behaviors that do not comply with student stance such as cheating, deception or fraud, misleading, etc. are detected, the exams of the relevant students will be deemed invalid and they will be treated according to the Student Disciplinary Regulations of Higher Education Institutions.
· Since the exam will be held in a single session, undergraduate students who receive 60 or more out of 100 in total are considered successful.
· The students who have taken the exam are assumed to have accepted the exam rules.
The details about the content and duration of the exam are given in the table below.
ITU SFL Proficiency Exam Content
Number of Questions
Points for Each Question
| || |
Total Duration (minutes)
|* In the Writing section, the students will be asked to write a complete essay including the Introduction, 2 Body and Conclusion paragraphs. They will be required to write 250-350 words. |
Click here for the previous Proficiency Exam questions and answers.
For any technical problems or questions, you can only get support by opening a ticket. Please follow the steps below to successfully open a help ticket.
http://yardim.itu.edu.tr/ > Yardım Bileti Oluşturun > Yabancı Diller Yüksekokulu > İngilizce Yeterlilik Sınavı > Sınavla İlgili Sorular
PLEASE CHECK FOR FURTHER ANNOUNCEMENTS ON THIS WEB SITE REGULARLY.
School of Foreign Languages